Chung Cheng High School was founded in 1939 as an all-boys’ school at 60 Kim Yam Road. The school was guided by its philosophy “Excellence in Education for All” and admitted students from different strata of society. With the Japanese invasion of Singapore in 1942, the school was forced to cease operation. The school resumed in 1945 after the Second World War and began to enrol female students.
The school achieved top honours among Singapore schools in the first National Examination in 1947. To accommodate the increase in student population, a 14-acre plot of land at Goodman Road was purchased for a new campus. This new campus became home to Chung Cheng High School (Main) while the original campus at Kim Yam Road housed Chung Cheng High School (Branch).
In 1979, the school was selected as one of the nine Special Assistance Plan (SAP) schools, offering both English and Chinese as first languages to students. This helped the school to strengthen its emphasis on bilingualism and serve as a catalyst to nurture bilingual and bicultural students for the nation.
In 1996, the school achieved Autonomous School status, giving the school the flexibility to innovate and enhance its school curriculum for its students. In 2005, the school was selected as the East Zone Centre of Excellence for Chinese to promote an appreciation and understanding of the Chinese history and culture through active sharing of resources and exchanges of expertise among practitioners.
Between 2010 and 2012, the school embarked on the MOE Programme for Rebuilding and Improving Existing Schools (PRIME) project. This saw an expansion of the school facilities which now support the school’s vibrant student population.
In 2014, the school celebrated its 75th school anniversary. In the same year, the school’s Entrance Arch and Administration Building (Zhulin Building) were gazetted as national monuments and officiated at a ceremony by then Prime Minister, Mr Lee Hsien Loong.
In 2019 , the school celebrated her 80th anniversary with a series of homecoming events. A new 中正人 statue was also unveiled by the school lake in a ceremony officiated by Minister for Education, Mr Ong Ye Kung, on 13 April 2019.
|Dr Chuang Chu Lin
||1939 to 1957
|Mr Shen Weilin
|Mr Wang Changzhi
||1958 to 1959
|Mr Liu Yuji
|Mr Lin Qi-yuan
|Mr Huang Fangkui
||1961 to 1967
|Mr Yao Fusen
|Mr Qiu Xinmin
||1967 to 1974
|Mr Xie Tian Shun
||1974 to 1981
|Mr Goh Seow Chew
||1981 to 1995
|Mr Yang Che Kay
||1995 to 2000
|Mr Yue Lip Sin
||2000 to 2005
|Mr Lo Chee Lin
||2005 to 2011
|Mr Pang Choon How
||2011 to 2015
|Mr Chan Ying Yin
||2015 to 2021
|Mr Yao Zhixuan, Terence
||2021 to present
|1939||The inauguration ceremony of Chung Cheng High School took place on 30 April 1939.|
|1947||A panoramic view of Chung Cheng High School (Main) at Goodman Road in 1947.|
|1968||Then Prime Minister, Mr Lee Kuan Yew, officiated the opening of the Grand Auditorium on 21 July 1968.|
|1969||The中正人sculpture was officially unveiled by Minister for Education, Mr Ong Pang Boon, on 30 June 1969 to celebrate the school’s 30th anniversary|
|1970||The Grand Auditorium overlooking the original Chung Cheng Lake.|
|2003||The Chung Cheng Heritage Gallery was officially opened by then Minister of State, Prime Minister’s Office & Ministry of Community Development and Sports, Mr Chan Soo Sen, on 6 July 2003.|
|2005||The school broke the Guinness World of Records for the longest can chain project on 1 July 2005, measuring 3005.54 metres.|
|2014||The school’s Entrance Arch and Administration Building (Zhulin Building) were gazetted as national monuments and officiated at a ceremony by Prime Minister, Mr Lee Hsien Loong, on 10 July 2014.|
|2019||The school celebrated her 80th anniversary with a series of homecoming events. A new 中正人 statue was also unveiled by the school lake in a ceremony officiated by Minister for Education, Mr Ong Ye Kung, on 13 April 2019.|